Friday, March 20, 2009

5-Gallon Distraction

So today I was in my office alone all day. My co-worker is out on Fridays, my boss is on the east cost and I am in the office. I try to be a person who can work all by themselves all day, but its never that easy for me - I look for distractions and social opportunities.

One came about 1:30.

I refilled my water glass at the water cooler. (By the way, did you know that women on average use the facilities three times during an eight hour work day? I do, because its on the exam I'm taking next week. Glad I know that, because I drink so much water during the day, my average is more like six and if I had guessed - I'd be wrong. Sounds to me like there are some people not getting enough liquids)

Anyway - I filled my glass and noticed the water bottle was empty. I grabbed a full container, pulled the sticker off the top and lifted with my knees; cringing for the moment where the seal breaks and the whole bottle settles in. Not a second later, water was running down the cooler and I heard a faint air leak sound coming from the bottom (now top) of the bottle. So I grabbed the bottle out of the cooler, practically threw a whole roll of paper towels around the base and set the bottle down. It was still leaking. From the area of the sound. There is a crack in the bottom (now bottom) of the jug.

I managed to run to the management office to alert them of the leak and ask for access to the mop sink - all the time thinking about how water just runs through the boards in the floor and I'm sure the downstairs neighbors will complain. I also managed to wrestle the 5 (less a bit) gallon bottle to said mop sink without getting too wet. Cunning use of a flower pot base. And the whole time I was dumping the 5 gallons down the drain, I was thinking how non-LEED compliant I was being.

No comments: