Monday, September 28, 2009

ingredient challenge: squash

I am not a very good vegetable eater. I try to like cooked root vegetables and usually fail; I've cooked squash a few times with less love. BUT. I do like farmers' markets. And imagine a day with a significant garden, so I'm working on liking more vegetables.

I'm starting with squash. About a month ago, I took some green, gnarly squash from my in-laws' house with trepidation. "Why am I taking this - I don't like squash?" "But I had some at dinner yesterday and it was ok...?"

So I challenged myself to cook this hard-shelled gourde and learn to like it more. And I'm thinking of continuing the challenge - take an ingredient and cook with it. Use one ingredient for a whole week and figure it out. We've tried this with bacon - why not vegetables?

First toe-dip into squash: Apple-Squash Bisque made in the crock-pot.
Translation: horrible baby-food puree. I had a vat of yellow-ish muck in my fridge and couldn't bring my self to throw it away. (I probably don't need to mention that my husband is not taking part in this challenge - maybe when I use bbq sauce, but not with squash).

So it sat there until I received a magazine that just happened to have a recipe for Spicy Thai Squash Soup with Shrimp and Peas. I read through it and thought - I can save this soup! I like shrimp and peas and it sounds like something tasty...I can save the soup!

I saved the soup! Spicy Thai Squash Soup is DELICIOUS. Try it for yourself!


(photo and recipe from Self magazine)

A few notes about the ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups mashed sweet potatoes (I used squash apple bisque - it had apple sauce and sour cream, but was basically the same constancy and flavor, but next time I'll just use squash)
  • Their recipe is for easy cooking - making a bunch of recipes at the same time - I just eliminated the onion-garlic mixture, becuase there was both in the original soup, but I will use an onion and clove of garlic in the mixures place.
  • 1 teaspoon green curry paste (this stuff is amazing and the magic of the recipe! Changed everything about the texture, flavor and color of the baby puree)
Next up - squash ravioli!!

No comments: