Monday, May 31, 2010

Book Review

Even though I grew up in the 60's when the novel that I just read takes place, I can't quite relate to the characters. Perhaps because they are black maids and genteel southern women. The book is called, "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. It is the stories of domestic help and the families that they worked for in a time when blacks had their own grocery stores, their own schools, beauty shops, black public restrooms, so white people would not catch their germs.
Where was I? I can't even imagine what the south was like. Laws have changed this racial imbalance, but have attitudes changed with the times? Easy to sit back and say that was a southern problem, but, I know people in Bemidji that feel the same way about our American Indians.
Read the book!

No comments: