Sunday, October 19, 2008

Farm Life

B and I have been having a discussion about farms this fall season. As this conversation progresses, I'm realizing more and more I have a highly romanticized version of farm life. He does not.

I am interested in hay rides and apple picking and pumpkin patches and have been trying to get B to accompany me for many years. He knows that this is a fake version of "farm life" and likes the real version better, so is not interested in picking apples one by one, when he could be driving a combine to pick thousands of acres of corn instead. I'm ok if he doesn't want to hike around a pumpkin patch with me, but I'm going to keep trying for the hayride.

I attribute my childhood understanding of farms and all things country living to my grandparents. They certainly had a working farm when I was growing up, but it was a whole lot different to be the "town cousin" there for a summer time visit or a christmas vacation. We had pet calves, rode horses, played in the barn and got an annual sleigh ride. If that isn't a romantic life, I'm not sure what is.

No comments: