Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What goes up, must come down

If you ever get the urge to put up a wallpaper border, resist! I just spent all afternoon getting one off the wall. Gone is the patriotic star border in my office. Borders were very popular 10-15 years ago. I had two different ones in my bedroom, both now long gone.

Butch doesnt mind painting, but if I get all the prep work done, the job seems to get to the top of his to-do list quicker.

After removing 3 of these lovely wallpapers, I have found a few tricks that they dont tell you about in the paint store. You will need: a bucket of hot water with some white vinegar added, a hand towel, step ladder, your iron on an extention cord and some strong finger nails.

Dip the towel in the water and put it over the hot iron. Now run the iron and towel over a small section of the paper. This will loosen the paper so that you can peel it off the wall. You will have to continue wiping the area with the wet towel, scraping the leftover paper with your finger nails. I tried a putty knife, but found it less effective.

Be carefull not to burn yourself with the steaming towel.

Now you know, and I am off to buy paint.

No comments: